This one makes for a delicious, hearty, colorful meal. Sometimes, I also like to swap out the brown rice for quinoa. You can also add some vegan sour cream.
Makes 4 burritos
Time: 30 mins
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 15-oz can black beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 large tortillas
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- olive oil for sautéing
- (optional) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Start cooking the rice. By the time you are finished with the other steps, the rice will be ready.
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Combine beans and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan, with 1/2 tsp salt, oregano, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Slightly mash beans, in order to allow the flavors to penetrate the beans. Allow mixture to simmer for about 15 minutes, or until you are ready to prepare the burritos.
- Coarsely chop onion and red & green peppers. Sauté with olive oil for 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender, but still crisp.
- Drain tomatoes and add to bean mixture.
- Prepare the burritos: add about a quarter each of the rice, beans, and vegetables to each tortilla, and roll into burritos. (optional: put the rolled burritos into the oven for 5 minutes to make a firm, chewy tortilla.